Manchester United says it has taken “appropriate steps” following Cristiano Ronaldo’s comments in a controversial interview.
The club decided to wait until the full broadcast of Ronaldo’s interview before responding. Ronaldo recently sat down with Piers Morgan and the final part of the interview was made public in the UK on Thursday
During the 90-minute debate, Ronaldo criticized Manchester United manager Erik ten Hoag, his teammates and the club’s owners.
CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS COVERAGE ON FOXNEWS.COM
The Manchester United club has started appropriate measures this morning in response to Cristiano Ronaldo’s recent media interview. We will not comment further until this process is concluded.
Ronaldo, 37, traveled to Qatar as he prepares for his fifth World Cup appearance with Portugal. After the World Cup, the striker may return to Old Trafford.
Many considered Ronaldo’s position at the club untenable even before the full interview was published.
Legal claims were previously believed to have created potential obstacles in relation to footballer transfers. But if Ronaldo is found to have breached his contract, that could pave the way for his contract to be voided.
Manchester United’s Cristiano Ronaldo scored his 700th career goal at the club level.
United officials claim they had no idea of Ronaldo’s interview with Morgan and waited until it appeared on TalkTV before determining the club’s legal position.
United manager Ten Hoag and Ronaldo have had a rather turbulent relationship since the end of last season.
Ten Hoag repeatedly forced Ronaldo to train away from the team after the striker refused to come on as a substitute against Tottenham.
“I think he doesn’t respect [me] The way I should deserve it.” “But it is what it is,” Ronaldo said. Maybe that’s why I left the game against Tottenham. … That’s why I say that I don’t respect him, because he doesn’t respect me.”
Ronaldo did not move to a Champions League club during the off-season, meaning he could leave in the January transfer window.
He said: “If I come back, I will be the same Cristiano. But I hope the people will be with me and let me shine like all the clubs and all the years.”
Click here to get the FOX NEWS program
Portugal will begin their World Cup campaign on November 24 against Ghana.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.